Vary this recipe by adding 1/2 cup fresh corn, sliced avocado or a small chopped tomato. Freshly minced Italian oregano leaves or 2 or 3 tablespoons of fresh chopped Italian flat-leafed parsley are fine substitutes for the cilantro. Makes 2 servings.
• 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
• 1/2 medium onion, halved and sliced
• 6 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
• 1 or 2 chiles, such as serrano or jalapeño, finely diced
• 2 cloves garlic, sliced
• 4 extra-large eggs
• Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
• Generous 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
• 3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
• Cilantro for garnish, optional
1. In a large skillet, heat oil and sauté onion for 3 minutes; add tortilla strips and sauté for 3 minutes, turning so they are evenly coated. Add chiles and garlic and sauté for another 1 to 2 minutes.
2. Beat eggs in a small bowl with salt and pepper, and stir in cilantro and half the cheese. Add egg mixture to skillet, stirring and scrambling them with the tortillas until cooked, about 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Turn off heat, sprinkle with remaining cheese and cover for 1 to 2 minutes. Serve on warm plates, garnished with cilantro.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE