Use whatever fresh greens are in season for flavorful Egg and Cheese Puffs.
A great brunch dish, or quick lunch or supper, this recipe is easily assembled and can be prepared a few hours ahead of time and refrigerated; simply remove from refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. Use the best greens that you have in season in any combination you desire, totaling 2 cups chopped and packed. In addition to the ones listed in the ingredients, I find any of the following work well: spinach, baby chard, dandelion leaves, arugula, watercress, nettles, basil, dill or cilantro. Oyster, button or cremini mushrooms can be substituted for the shiitakes; Swiss or Gruyère can be used in place of the cheddar. Makes 4 servings.
• 12 extra-large eggs
• 1 1/2 cups whole or 2 percent milk
• Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
• 1/2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
• 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
• 1 small onion, minced (about 3/4 cup)
• 3 to 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, brushed clean, stemmed and cut into pieces
• 3 large cloves garlic, minced
• 1 cup chickweed
• 1/2 cup Italian flat-leaf parsley
• 1/3 cup sorrel
• 2 tablespoons sweet marjoram
• 3 slices whole-wheat bread, torn into crumbs
• 1 cup grated sharp white cheddar cheese
• 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter a shallow 2 1/2 to 3-quart ovenproof dish.
2. Break eggs into a bowl and beat until well combined. Add milk and season well with salt and pepper; add paprika and combine. Set aside.
3. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add oil and butter. When butter is almost melted, add onions and sauté 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and stir; cover pan and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring once or twice during cooking. Add garlic, greens and marjoram, tossing well, and cover. Cook 2 minutes or until greens are just wilted; stir and remove from heat. Season greens with salt and pepper, as desired. Add breadcrumbs and toss well.
4. Add cheddar, Parmesan and sautéed greens mixture to milk and eggs and stir to combine. Pour mixture into prepared dish and spread evenly. Bake 30 to 35 minutes until eggs are just set in the center and a knife inserted comes out clean, and the top is golden brown. Let rest for 5 minutes; serve hot.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE