Makes about 1½ cups
Here’s a quick and easy sauce that you can put together in a matter of minutes yet tastes like it took hours to make. Baste it on anything that goes on the grill, or use it as a sauce for beans and rice, on sautéed fish or roasted chicken, or basted on oven-roasted potatoes.
• ¾ cup ketchup
• ½ cup strong coffee
• ¼ cup blackberry jam (use a 100 percent fruit jam for best flavor)
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste
• 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
• ½ to 1 tablespoon brown sugar (depending on desired sweetness)
• ¼ teaspoon cumin
• ¼ teaspoon chile powder
• ¼ teaspoon garlic powder or garlic granules
1. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and let cool. Use immediately or store any unused sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE