Top chefs share their favorite “pie” recipes and a dash of inspiration.
Tyler Florence, host of Food Network's "Food 911," offers hearty Grilled Pizza with Mozzarella di Bufala and Sausage. Cherry tomatoes and fresh basil make bright counterpoints for the cheese and sausage.
To make a delicious bruschetta, simply substitute crispy Italian bread for the pizza dough. Makes one 12-inch pizza.
• Pizza dough
• Two 4-ounce balls fresh mozzarella
• Olive oil
• 15 to 20 sage leaves
• Chunk of fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
• Red pepper flakes
• Sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Thinly slice mozzarella and set it on paper towels to dry.
2. Roll or pat dough into a 12- to 13-inch circle, keeping it a little thicker at the edge. If using a baking stone, generously dust a peel (large, wide metal spatula used for baking) with cornmeal and lay dough over it. Otherwise, lay dough on a sheet pan or pizza pan.
3. Lay mozzarella over dough, drizzle with a little oil and bake 7 minutes.
4. Remove pizza from oven, add sage leaves and bake another 8 to 10 minutes, or until crust is golden.
5. Remove pizza from oven, grate Parmigiano-Reggiano over the top, and season with red pepper and salt. Paint edge of crust with additional oil. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE