For a festive appearance, garnish each serving with nasturtiums or other edible flowers. Adapted with permission from Recipes from an American Herb Garden (Macmillan, 1993) by Maggie Oster.
• 3 cups peeled, seeded, and grated cucumbers (about 2)
• 1 garlic clove, minced, or 1 tablespoon garlic chives
• 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions, both white and green parts
• 2 tablespoons mint vinegar or white wine vinegar
• 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
• 1 1/2 cups nonfat or lowfat plain yogurt
• 1/2 cup minced fresh herb leaves: burnet, mint, dill or a combination
• 1/4 cup toasted almonds
In a large bowl, combine the cucumbers, garlic, scallions, vinegar, buttermilk, yogurt and 1/4 cup of the fresh herbs. For a smooth soup, the ingredients can be pureed in a blender or food processor. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. Pour into serving bowls and garnish with the remaining herbs and toasted almonds.
For more recipes from Shower Her With Herbs, click here.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE