Serves 2 hungry gardeners.
• 2 cups bread crumbs
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 2 tablespoons dried parsley
• 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 4 chicken breast halves, boned and skinned
• 2 eggs, beaten, or 1/2 cup egg substitute
• 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 cup chicken stock or white wine
• 1 sliced orange for garnish
• Sprig fresh parsley for garnish
Place bread crumbs, salt, pepper, parsley, marjoram, thyme, oregano, and garlic powder in a food processor and grind thoroughly. Dip the chicken breasts into the beaten egg and then coat with bread crumbs. Over medium-high heat, brown the chicken breasts on both sides in butter and oil. Lower the heat, add stock or wine, and cover. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the thickness of the breasts. Garnish with orange slices and parsley.
--Barbara L. Anderson, Urbana, Illinois
For more recipes from Kitchen Table, click here.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE