The unusual combination of dill and orange adds zest to these avocado halves filled with prawns. They make a lovely presentation at summer luncheons. You may prepare the sauce up to 4 hours in advance.
• 2 small avocados, ripe but not mushy
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 1/2 pound prawns or shrimp, cleaned, cooked, and peeled
• 1/3 cup sour cream (nonfat or regular)
• 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
• 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
• 2 to 3 teaspoons minced fresh dill weed
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
• 4 small sprigs fresh dill weed for garnish
1. Cut the avocados in half, remove stones, and peel. Immediately coat with half the lemon juice to prevent browning. Dice the prawns.
2. Stir together the sour cream, mayonnaise, orange juice, and remaining lemon juice, and mix with the prawns, adding minced dill, salt, and pepper to taste. Mound the mixture into the avocado cavities and garnish with the dill sprigs. Chill briefly but serve within 1 hour.
Cornelia Carlson grows herbs in Valley Center, California, and is the author of The Practically Meatless Gourmet (Berkley Books, 1996).
Click here for the main article, Casual, Carefree Dill .
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE