Use neck and leg cuts of boar or deer for this German recipe with marjoram and juniper berries.
A dish of jellied game, prepared with juniper, bay, and marjoram, is flanked by a salad of lettuce, chicory, radicchio, and watercress.
One of the most flavorful dishes of any German meal here is meat jelly, also known as jellied game or wildsülze. Use neck and leg cuts of boar or deer for this German recipe, along with juniper, bay laurel and marjoram. All these ingredients contribute to an enticing melange of flavors and aromas.
• 28 ounces boar, deer or other game (preferably neck and leg cuts)
• 1 cup each carrots, celery, leeks, and onions
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1 tablespoon each of juniper berries, bay leaves, and marjoram
• 1 tablespoon chopped pimento
• 1 teaspoon vinegar
• 1/2 teaspoon sugar
• 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin powder per 2 cups of broth
• Juniper and marjoram sprigs for garnish
1. Cut the game into 1-inch cubes; add to a large stockpot with the vegetables, herbs, and spices. Add water to cover.
2. Boil until the meat is cooked through, skimming the foam often.
3. Separate the game from the broth. Strain the broth, measure it, and allow it to cool. (Discard the vegetables.)
4. Put the game in a ceramic baking pan; cover with plastic wrap.
5. Bring half the broth to a boil again. Add the vinegar and sugar. Taste; it should have a strong flavor, because the taste will become less intense as it cools. If necessary, add more vinegar, spice, herbs, or sugar to taste.
6. Remove from heat. Dissolve the gelatin powder in the broth. Then add the cooled broth to it.
7. Remove the plastic wrap from the game. Pour the broth over the cubes of game until they are completely covered. Allow to chill overnight in the refrigerator.
8. Garnish with juniper and marjoram sprigs. Serves 6.
Read the main article, German Cuisine Recipes with Herbs.
Sibylle Hechtel writes from Estes Park, Colorado. Her latest articles appear in Red Herring and New Scientist.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE