You can add or vary the vegetables as you prefer. SERVES 4
• 1 1/2 pounds turkey wings, neck and back bones
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• 1 bay leaf
• 1/2 to 1 whole sweet orange peel
• 2 quarts water (enough to cover bones)
• 1 small onion, diced
• 2 large carrots, sliced
• 1 to 2 tablespoons ginger juice, to taste
• Salt to taste
• Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a Dutch oven. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat; reduce to medium-low. Cook 30 minutes and skim off foam that rises to the surface.
2. Reduce heat to low and simmer at least 2 hours. Remove from heat and cool 30 minutes or until room temperature.
3. Pour broth mixture through a colander into a large bowl, discarding bay leaf and orange peel. Remove meat from bones, chop meat and reserve for soup. Discard bones.
4. Combine onion, carrots, ginger juice, turkey meat and turkey broth in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender. Season with salt and sprinkle with parsley.
Don Matesz, L.Ac., is a nutritionist, board-certified herbalist and acupuncturist. He lives and practices in Arizona. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at 1503 SW 42nd St., Topeka, KS 66609 for a detailed reference list for this article.
Click here for the main article, Citrus Peel Medicine .
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE