Start your day with deliciously healthful herbal scones, muffins and breads.
For the base of these hearty burritos, make the Buckwheat Apple Pancakes the night before. Store them tightly wrapped in an airtight bag or in a container in the refrigerator. In the morning, pile grated cheese, cooked ham or chicken, vegetables or fruit in the center of one or two pancakes. Microwave on high for 30 seconds, fold over, secure with a toothpick and go!
Buckwheat Apple Pancakes:
Makes eight 3-inch pancakes
Toothsome and heavy with fruit and nuts, these pancakes are quite a change from the lighter variety made with refined white flour. Enjoy them alone, or use them as the base for breakfast burritos.
• ½ cup rolled oats or Whole-Grain Granola (homemade or store-bought)
• ½ cup spelt flakes*
• 1 cup boiling water
• ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar or brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
• Pinch salt
• 1 apple, shredded
• ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
• 1 cup rice or soy milk
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
*If spelt flakes are not available, use 1 cup of old-fashioned rolled oats in place of the first 2 ingredients (oats or Granola and spelt).
• Shredded cheddar, Swiss or other hard cheese
• Hard-boiled egg, sliced or grated
• Cooked ham, cut in strips
• Cooked chicken, cut in strips
• Cooked kidney, black or navy beans
• Fresh greens, such as spinach, sliced cabbage, sprouts, lettuce
• Chopped peppers (sweet or hot) or fruit
• Chopped fresh herbs, such as cilantro, parsley, oregano, savory, thyme, rosemary or tarragon
1. Make Buckwheat Apple Pancakes: In a medium bowl, combine oats or Granola and spelt. Stir in boiling water and let stand for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, rosemary and salt and stir with a whisk. Add apple and nuts. Make a well in the center.
3. Stir milk, egg and 2 tablespoons of the oil into soaked grains. Pour this mixture into dry ingredients and stir just enough to mix.
4. In a large skillet or griddle, heat remaining tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Spoon ¼ cup pancake batter onto hot skillet. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until pancakes are lightly browned on bottom and bubbles appear throughout batter. Flip and cook another minute, until lightly browned on other side. Repeat with remaining batter, re-oiling pan as necessary.
5. Serve immediately; or cool and wrap tightly, and store in refrigerator up to 4 days. Pancakes can be frozen individually on a baking sheet, then stored in airtight containers in freezer up to 1 month.
6. For each Breakfast Burrito: Distribute 2 tablespoons cheese and 2 tablespoons of a protein ingredient (cooked egg, ham, chicken, fish or beans) along one half-side of a buckwheat pancake. Top with ¼ cup greens and ¼ cup vegetables or fruit; sprinkle 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs over all. Fold in half. Secure with a toothpick. Heat in microwave oven for 30 seconds, or until cheese melts.
Click here for the main article, 6 Healthful Breakfast Recipes.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE