This blueberry coffee cake not only stays moist for up to a week, it is also low in fat and contains no dairy products.
• 2 cups self-rising flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon allspice
• 1 teaspoon ginger
• 2 teaspoons cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 1/2 cups applesauce (preferably unsweetened)
• 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
• 3 egg whites
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon cinnamon
• 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Sift the first 7 ingredients into a large bowl and set aside. Beat the oil, sugar, vanilla and applesauce together in a medium bowl and then add them to the flour mixture.
3. Fold in the blueberries. Beat the egg whites until frothy and fold them into the batter. Pour the batter into a greased 8-inch-square pan.
4. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle the mixture on top of the batter. Sprinkle on the optional walnuts and bake for 50 to 55 minutes. Do not freeze.
—Juliette Swenson, Petersburg, Virginia
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE