Serves 4 to 6
• 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1⁄4 cup Thai basil leaves, roughly torn
• 3 green onions, julienne-cut
• 1 (1 1⁄2-pound) boneless sirloin steak
• Thai basil sprig, julienne-cut green onions for garnish
1. Stir together first 4 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag; add steak, turning to coat. Seal and chill for 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
2. Remove steak from marinade, discarding marinade, and pat steak dry.
3. Preheat grill to 350 to 400 degrees (medium-high). Cover with grill lid and grill for 6 to 8 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness. Let steak stand 5 minutes before slicing. Serve immediately.
Caleb Melchior studies landscape architecture. When not working in the studio, he writes about food and gardens.
Click here for the main article, Basil Varieties: A Cook's Guide to Uncommon Basils .
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE