Fresh basil gives great fragrance and flavor to a Bloody Mary.
Illustration by Avram Dumitrescu
Makes 2 tall drinks
Fresh basil gives great fragrance and flavor to a Bloody Mary. For a tasty nonalcoholic drink, leave out the vodka.
- Small handful basil leaves
- 1½ cups V-8 or tomato juice
- 3 ounces vodka
- About 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Few dashes Angostura bitters
- Few dashes Tabasco, optional
Basil ice cubes
- 2 stalks celery, washed and trimmed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Muddle basil leaves in a pitcher. Add V-8 or tomato juice, vodka, lime juice, bitters and Tabasco, if desired, and stir well.
- Make ahead and refrigerate until chilled, or pour into tall chilled glasses filled halfway with basil ice cubes (or regular).
- Garnish each glass with a sprig of basil and a celery stalk for stirring or crunching, and a grinding of black pepper, if desired.
Susan Belsinger is a frequent contributor who loves to sip herbal cocktails in her Maryland h
Click here for the original article, Herbal Summer Cocktails.