This recipe is adapted from the coleslaw in Sacramental Magic in a Small-Town Café by Brother Peter Reinhart. My adaptation adds salt, cuts down on the vinegar, pepper and sugar, and adds some horseradish. See variations at the end of the recipe, too. SERVES ABOUT 6
• 5 cups green cabbage, finely shredded
• 1⁄3 cup red or yellow onion, grated
• 1⁄2 to 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Scant 1 cup good-quality mayonnaise
• 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh-grated or prepared horseradish
• 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, preferably organic
• 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar or pure maple syrup
1 Combine the cabbage and onion in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper (start with about 1⁄2 teaspoon of each), and toss well. Add the mayonnaise, horseradish, vinegar, and sugar or maple syrup. (I find if you u.se the syrup, you need a little more than when using sugar.)
2. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. Remove from refrigerator, stir, and taste for seasoning. Adjust with a little more vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper, mayonnaise or horseradish according to taste.
3. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve; keeps for about 5 days but the cabbage tends to get watery after a few days.
VARIATIONS: Add any one (or two) of these ingredients for a tasty variation of the basic.
+ 1 medium grated carrot
+ 1⁄2 teaspoon Hungarian-style paprika
+ 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped dill
+ 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
+ 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
Susan Belsinger is a long-time herbal enthusiast who wrote Dill, Herb of the Year 2010 for the International Herb Association.
To read more, see the International Herb Association’s book, Horseradish, Herb of the Year 2011, edited by Susan Belsinger. To purchase, visit www.iherb.org or write to Marge Powell at the International Herb Association, P.O. Box 5667, Jacksonville, FL 32247-5667.
Click here the main article, 2011 Herb of the Year: Horseradish (Armoracia rusticana).
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE