This comforting dish makes an excellent main course with a crunchy green salad.
This piquant vegetarian paella with farmhouse cheddar melted on top makes the perfect dinner.
Tomato Brown Rice Paella with Peas and Cheddar
Serves 4 to 6
This comforting dish makes an excellent main course with a crunchy green salad. Or, serve it as a side dish alongside grilled chicken or shrimp. This version was inspired by chef Deborah Madison’s Spanish Rice recipe. White Valencia rice is more authentic, but long-grain brown rice adds a rich, nutty flavor and firm texture.
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cups long-grain brown rice
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons tomato paste
Pinch red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
4 to 6 cups vegetable broth
2 cloves garlic, peeled but not chopped
12 sprigs fresh parsley, tied with twine
12 sundried tomatoes, drained and cut into slivers (about 1/2 cup)
1 cup cooked peas
6 ounces extra-sharp cheddar, grated
Fresh pea shoots to garnish, optional
Fresh parsley springs to garnish, optional
1. Heat oil in a large, heavy pot. Add onions and cook on medium-low heat for 5 minutes until softened but not browned.
2. Add rice and toss to coat. Add salt, tomato paste, pepper flakes, turmeric and cayenne; stir to blend. Add 4 cups of the broth, garlic and parsley. Add sundried tomatoes and stir.
3. Cover tightly and bring to a simmer. Cook, covered 20 to 40 minutes (timing will depend on the type of rice you use). After 20 minutes, check rice every 5 minutes and add more broth if needed. Do not stir, or rice will become soft and mushy. (Note: Long-grain brown rice may require as much as 6 cups broth.)
4. When rice is tender, remove garlic and parsley and discard. Add peas and stir just to mix. Lightly oil a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and spoon rice into it. Sprinkle with cheese and place under a broiler until cheese melts.
5. Garnish with pea shoots and parsley, and serve warm.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE