Dehydrators provide a quick and easy way to dry your favorite herbs.
Citrus and Lemon Verbena Body Splash
MAKES 2 CUPS
For a refreshing garden scent, spritz this blend on for a cooling sensation. If you prefer a stronger scent, consider adding 5 to 10 drops of orange, lemon, lime, and/or grapefruit essential oils.
• Peel of 1 orange (preferably organic)
• Peel of 1 lemon (preferably organic)
• 1 cup dried lemon verbena leaves
• 21/4 cups vodka
1. Place the orange peel, lemon peel, and dried lemon verbena in a quart-size glass jar. Slightly crush the peels and leaves to release their essential oils.
2. Cover the plant material with the vodka. Steep for at least two weeks, shaking occasionally.
3. Strain into a clean glass jar and discard the peels and herbs. Pour liquid into a glass spray bottle to use as a body splash, or add 1 cup to bath water for a refreshing wintertime bath. (Note: If essential oils are included, shake the bottle prior to each use to distribute them. If you have sensitive skin, do a skin patch test for sensitivity.)
4. Store in the refrigerator and use within two months.
Click here to return to the original article, Preserving Herbs for Winter Use.
Cathy Manus-Gray is an herbal educator and freelance writer who lives, works, and plays at Herban Gardens, an oasis in the city of Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE