Where herbs and spices make a difference
Artesia, New Mexico
Makes 6 waffles
These savory waffles are delicious at brunch. The leftover pesto keeps well in the freezer.
• 2 cups pancake or waffle mix
• 1 1/3 cups low-fat milk
• 1 egg
• 3 tablespoons pesto (recipe below)
• 3 tablespoons grated Cheddar cheese
1. Stir together all of the ingredients. Pour some of the batter into a hot waffle iron and bake until the steaming stops. Remove the waffle and hold in a warm oven while you cook the remaining waffles.
• 1 cup fresh basil leaves
• 1 to 2 cloves garlic
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Process the basil and garlic in a blender or food processor until well chopped. Add the olive oil and process for 5 seconds, then add the Parmesan cheese and process another 5 seconds, or until the mixture is well blended. Season with the salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Back toThe Kitchen Table.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE