Where herbs and spices make a difference
Lemon Verbena Sorbet
Lake Worth, Florida
On a warm summer afternoon, this refreshing sorbet is an elegant treat.
• 2 1/8 cups sugar
• 2 1/8 cups water
• 20 sprigs lemon verbena
• 1 cup carambola wine or other light, fruity white wine
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• Candied edible flowers for garnish
1. Bring the sugar, water, and 12 sprigs of the lemon verbena to a boil in a nonreactive saucepan. Off heat, stir in the wine. Cover and refrigerate for several hours.
2. Strain out the lemon verbena and add the lemon juice. Pour the mixture into a shallow container and place in the freezer. When the sorbet is partially frozen, whip it with a fork to break up any lumps and return it to the freezer.
3. Five to 10 minutes before serving, remove the sorbet from the freezer to soften, then scoop it into bowls and garnish with the remaining lemon verbena sprigs and the candied flowers.
Back to The Kitchen Table.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE