Where Herbs and Spices Make a Difference
This dish makes a splendid cold appetizer or salad atop a bed of mixed greens and diced fennel. I serve it with a sauce made of equal parts mayonnaise and nonfat plain yogurt blended well with drops of sesame seed oil to taste.
• 2 pounds beef top round steak, 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick, trimmed of fat
• 3/4 cup tamari or reduced-sodium soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 3 tablespoons dry sherry
• 2 tablespoons whole aniseed, tied in cheesecloth
• 1 cup of water
1. Combine the meat with the remaining ingredients; cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 4 hours.
2. Preheat an oven broiler. Remove the meat from the marinade (discard marinade) and broil it 4 to 5 inches from the heat for about 15 minutes on each side for medium-rare, depending on thickness. Chill the meat well before slicing it thinly.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE