Mexican food is hot.
Makes about 6 cups
For variety, substitute parsley, basil, chervil, or tarragon, alone or in combination, for all or part of the chives. You may substitute a small green or red chile, finely chopped and with seeds and membranes removed, for the paprika.
• 2 cucumbers, peeled and seeded
• 3 large tomatoes, peeled and seeded
• 1 green bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed
• 1 sweet Spanish onion, peeled
• 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
• 3 cups beef, chicken, or vegetable broth, or water
• Juice of 1/2 lemon or lime, or 1/4 cup cider vinegar
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/4 cup chopped chives
• 1/2 teaspoon paprika
• Salt to taste
1. Process the first five ingredients and 1 cup of the broth or water in a food processor or blender, or chop the vegetables by hand for a chunkier soup. Add the remaining liquids, chives, and paprika. Salt to taste. Serve chilled.
Back to Salsa Dishes from the Garden.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE