Call them sorbets, sherbets, granitas or ices, nothing could be simpler than these herbs on ice.
Although there is no firmly defined difference between a sherbet and a sorbet, sherbet often is made with dairy or egg whites. I use yogurt in this one to add a tanginess that complements the lemony herb.
• 2 cups lemon verbena leaves, lightly packed 2 cups whole-milk yogurt
• 1½ cups fine sugar 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1½ cups water
1. Puree lemon verbena, sugar and water in blender on high speed.
2. Whisk together yogurt and lemon juice in a mixing bowl.
3. Strain lemon verbena syrup through a fine sieve into yogurt; whisk until smooth. Freeze immediately in ice cream maker until slushy-firm. Scoop into storage container and freeze until firm enough to scoop.
Jerry Traunfeld, author of The Herbal Kitchen (William Morrow, 2005), received the James Beard Award for Best American Chef of the Northwest in 2000.
Cick here for the original article, 5 Easy, Delicious Sorbet Recipes .
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE