Add flavor to your greens with this easy recipe.
Makes 1 cup
To serve, gently rinse pickled greens in a colander and then toss with a little light olive or canola oil. Feel free to substitute other sturdy greens, such as kale.
• 2 cups mustard greens, washed, deveined and shredded
• 2 to 4 cloves garlic, sliced
• 1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
• 1 tablespoon kosher salt
• 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
• 1 cup cold water
1. Tightly pack greens and garlic in a 16-ounce clean glass jar until about ¾ full.
2. Combine vinegar, salt and mustard seeds in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and gently stir until salt dissolves. Remove from heat.
3. Add cold water to this mixture and let cool. Pour cooled liquid in jar to cover greens and garlic. Add more cold water if necessary. Leave room at the top. Refrigerate for about an hour until chilled.
Freelance journalist and photographer Letitia L. Star has written more than 1,000 published articles, including many reflecting her enthusiasm for herbs and gardening.
Click here for the original article, 4 Recipes for Quick Pickles .
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE