Before making a sprint to the trashcan and landfill to discard your tree, holiday decorations and waste, try these eco-friendly alternatives to make cleaning house greener.
▪ Use Earth911.com to find out the nearest real tree drop-off location.
▪ Donate foam packing peanuts to local shipping or postal stores. You can also call “The Peanut Hotline” at (800) 828-2214 to track down your nearest shipping or postal store.
▪ When your rechargeable batteries no longer hold a charge, go to the Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation to find out your nearest battery drop-off location.
▪ Pass along older toys and clothes that have been replaced to organizations like Salvation Army and Goodwill.
▪ Send your inactive cell phones to CollectiveGood, which allows you to make a tax-deductible donation when you mail in your old cell phone. You can also go to one of 1,500 USPS locations that offer free envelopes to drop your electronics (MP3 players, cell phones, ink cartridges, digital cameras) without any fee for postage.