All things Mother Earth Living
Most of us are familiar with the delicate flavor of herbal iced teas and the soothing, warming properties of hot herbal teas—but have you ever incorporated tea into your cooking? This had never occurred to me until one of our partners—Teatulia, a socially conscientious organic tea company—started telling me about the recipe development they do. I found the concept fascinating. For example, one of their recipes involves tucking chamomile tea bags into the water with cooking quinoa to flavor the cooked product. They used chamomile tea for a breakfast quinoa, topped with walnuts, honey or dried fruit. I make quinoa all the time and this idea has the wheels spinning on the myriad ways I could incorporate this technique. I also love the recipe for tea-smoked chicken, which was submitted by one of Teatulia’s Facebook friends.
Teatulia offered to share one of their recipes with us. I selected this recipe for traditional Chinese marbled tea eggs—a simple but impressive dish for upcoming holiday parties.
You can find many more recipes for cooking with tea.
Photo courtesy Teatulia
7 Fun Ways to Cook with Tea
2. Steep strong Teatulia black tea and add star anise and soy sauce to taste.
3. Carefully roll eggs on counter, gently cracking them all over, but keeping shells on.
4. Place eggs in tea mixture and refrigerate overnight.
5. Gently peel eggs to reveal a spectacular cracked marble appearance.
6. Slice eggs in half lengthwise and put the yolks in a bowl.
7. Mash them with other ingredients to your liking and refill the halved whites for a more elegant deviled egg.