Lips are a unique part of our body in both appearance and construction. Keep yours looking and feeling their best with this simple lip care recipe.
These are super little sticks to keep with you and use throughout the day, either alone or under your favorite lipstick. I also rub a bit of these Beeswax Lipsticks on my heels at night to soften heels and keep them soft (of course, not the same stick I use on my lips). Use them to condition skin or anywhere you can use a little extra conditioning. MAKES 4 OUNCES, OR 10 TO 12 STICKS
• 1/4 cup grated beeswax
• 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
• 2 tablespoons cocoa butter
• 1 tablespoon light oil (I use almond oil)
• Small, shallow greased pan, or small foil-lined cardboard box (I use empty tea boxes)
1. Mix together the first 4 ingredients in an ovenproof container. Heat mixture gently in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes or in a double boiler or water bath on the stove top, until everything is melted and you have a pale golden liquid.
2. Pour melted mixture into pan or box. Allow mixture to cool, then cut into lipsticks.
3. Store in a closed container or wrap each stick individually. These make nice gifts, especially in the winter months when your friends’ lips may need some TLC.
4. To use: Rub the sticks over your lips.
Janice Cox enjoys creating her own natural beauty products at her home in Medford, Oregon. For more of Janice’s wonderful, natural recipes, visit Natural Beauty at Home.
Click here for the main article, Body & Soul: Natural Lip Gloss & Balm at Home.