The volatile oil in juniper berries helps break down the surface tension of the epidermis. Oil of peppermint adds to the aromatic pleasure of this bag; the scent of lavender is believed to be relaxing. People with arthritis will enjoy this bath.
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries
- 2 tablespoons dried or fresh peppermint
- 2 tablespoons dried or fresh spearmint
- 2 tablespoons dried or fresh lavender flowers and leaves
- Place ingredients on a piece of muslin or a handkerchief, tie up with a string or by simply tying the corners of the cloth together; or purchase small muslin bags, available in natural food stores.
- Place the bag in the tub while it fills with water. The bag acts like a giant tea bag, turning your bath into a therapeutic herbal tea.
- Use the soaked bag to scrub your skin. If you prefer showers, soak the bag of herbs in the shower and then use it like a washcloth.
Adapted from The Skin Care Book: Simple Herbal Recipes by Kathlyn Quatrochi (Loveland, Colorado: Interweave Press, 1997). Kathlyn is a naturopathic doctor who lives in California, where she teaches herbal skin care, maintains a skin treatment practice, and makes Bio Balance Skin Care Products.
Click here for more recipes from the original article, Skin Deep.