Solar Rx Therapeutic Sunblock SPF 30 from Keys Soap is recommended as the safest sunscreen on the market by the Environmental Working Group.
As summer heats up don’t forget to protect your skin. More than 1 million new cases of skin cancer are diagnosed each year, so it’s important to use protection while enjoying the sunny weather.
Choose wisely; a recent study by the Environmental Working Group found that not every sunscreen on the market is reliable.
Of nearly 1,000 name brand sunscreens on the market, only 1 out of 5 provides enough protection, the EWG’s Sunscreen Investigation found. The organization compiled a list of the safest sunscreen products available. Here are their top five:
1. Keys Soap Solar Rx Therapeutic Sunblock SPF 30: This nontoxic, all natural, cosmetic sunblock is not recommended for sun bathing, playing sports or swimming. Made for every day use, this product is not waterproof but adds a 16 percent concentration of uncoated nano-zinc oxide to provide UVA-UVB protection. ($26.95)
2. TruKid Sunny Days Natural Mineral Sunscreen Water Resistant Face and Body Stick SPF 30: The ingredients are all certified organic and include beeswax, aloe vera, rosemary, coconut oil and shea butter. ($10)
3. California Baby No Fragrance SPF 30 Sunblock Stick: It contains organic ingredients and is a chemical-, fragrance- and PABA-free product that offers UVA-UVB broad spectrum protection. ($12.99)
4. Badger Broad Spectrum UVA-UVB Protection SPF 30: This contains at least 60 percent certified organic ingredients and is a physical barrier sunscreen that contains more than 20 percent zinc oxide. ($16)
5. Marie Veronique Skin Therapy Sun Serum Duet: A greaseless, anti-oxidant powder blend, this serum is chemical-free and contains 20 percent zinc oxide. ($99)
If none of these products seem like they will work for you, look for sunscreens that have at least 7 percent zinc oxide or titanium dioxide for better protection. Avoid using sunscreens with added bug repellents to keep your skin from absorbing pesticides. Just remember to use a SPF 30 or higher.
More about eco-friendly skin care
• Find out which five ingredients to avoid when buying summer skin care products.
• Dry skin? Check out Natural Home's review of Beyond Organic Detoxifying Cleanser.
• Did you know the FDA doesn't evaluate ingredients in beauty products? Read about two watchdog groups' campaign for safer beauty products.