Cook delectable breakfast burritos over the campfire.
Photo Courtesy Zac Williams
Whether you're feeding one or 100, you'll find the campfire recipe that's right for you in Zac Williams' book Hungry Campers (Gibbs Smith, 2013). Williams offers a wide selection of simple and easy-to-make recipes that can be used for all types of outdoor adventures. The following campfire breakfast recipes are excerpted from Hungry Campers.
You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: Hungry Campers: Cooking Outdoors for 1 to 100.
So you’ve mastered campfire cooking so far and are ready for hot and haute cuisine. The following breakfast burrito recipe is designed to inspire your inner celebrity chef and allow you to show off your mastery of outdoor cooking. It will also appeal to the more discerning palates of leaders and adult groups. Allow your imagination and taste buds to lead you where they will.
Sausage and Pepper Breakfast Burritos Recipe
• 1 pound chorizo sausage
• 2 potatoes, diced
• 1 red bell pepper, sliced
• 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
• 8 ounces Cotija cheese, crumbled
• 8 to 10 tortillas
• Camp stove or campfire coals
• Skillet or Dutch oven
1. Crumble sausage and cook for about 10 minutes over medium-high heat with the diced potato until sausage is brown and potato is soft. Add bell pepper slices, cooking until soft. Top with crumbled Cotija cheese and set aside, keeping warm.
2. Warm each tortilla briefly in the skillet and fill with meat mixture and salsa as desired. Serves 4 to 6.
For more recipes from Hungry Campers, check out Campfire Breakfast Recipes.
Reprinted with permission from Hungry Campers: Cooking Outdoors for 1 to 100 by Zac Williams and published by Gibbs Smith, 2013.