Makes 14 cornsticks
These herb-enhanced cornsticks are a tasty change from the boring white buns or rolls typically served at Thanksgiving meals. The cornsticks are especially good paired with Marjoram-Infused Winter Squash Bisque.
• 3/4 cup cornmeal
• 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
• 1 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon dried orange peel
• 1/3 cup dried cranberries
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 2 tablespoons canola or corn oil
• 1 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place two well-greased cast-iron cornstick pans in oven for 5 minutes or until hot.
2. Combine first eight ingredients (through chives) in a medium bowl; make a well in the center.
3. Combine egg, oil and buttermilk in a small bowl; add to cornmeal mixture; stirring just until blended.
4. Reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees. Spoon batter into hot cornstick pans, filling 3/4 full. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until golden; remove from pans.
Frequent contributor Kris Wetherbee writes and gardens in the hills of western Oregon.
Click here for the main article,
10 Thanksgiving Day Recipes