Fresh lemon balm gives this homemade potpourri it's clean, crisp scent.
This lemon potpourri is a great way to scent your home naturally. Sachets of homemade potpourri also make thoughtful holiday gifts. Before following the recipe below, you’ll need to make a mixture of 4 ounces of powdered orrisroot (Iris spp.) and 1/2 fluid ounce of essential oil. (In the recipe below, you’ll need to make three separate orrisroot mixtures.) Mix the orrisroot and oil in a small screw-top jar and let it sit for a couple of days, shaking occasionally; it is then ready to use in the recipe.
- ½ cup lemon verbena leaves
- ½ cup lemon balm leaves
- ½ cup lemon thyme leaves
- 1 cup lemon and orange peel, dried and chopped
- 1 tablespoon bay leaves, crumbled
- ½ cup mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons lemon essential oil/orrisroot mixture
- 2 tablespoons neroli essential oil/orrisroot mixture
- 1 tablespoon mint essential oil/orrisroot mixture
- Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl and place the mixture in a large jar with a lid.
- Put the lidded jar in a dark place for two to four weeks, shaking occasionally to help the mixing process.
Source: Sheen, Joanna. Herbal Gifts. London: Ward Lock, 1991.