"The Clean Plates Cookbook" by Jared Koch offers sensible, sustainable, and healthful home cooking for anyone interested in integrating good foods into their lives. Recipes cover beverages, breakfasts, snacks, inventive entrées and desserts.
Photo Courtesy Running Press
The Clean Plates Cookbook by Jared Koch (Running Press, 2013) spells out exactly what “clean eating” means and why it matters. The book introduces the idea of eating as a bio-individual—that there is more than one right way to eat and that each person should find the “diet” that’s right for their personal needs—and includes recipes contributed from “healthy” chefs, covering everything from breakfast and beverages to entrees and sides. This recipe for Cauliflower Curry with Coconut Milk and Chard comes from chapter 9: The Recipes.
Cauliflower Curry Recipe with Coconut Milk and Chard
I especially like this curry on a fall or winter day—the healthful ingredients and mildly spicy flavors are soul warming. Try it served over brown basmati or brown jasmine rice.
Servings: 4 to 6
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
• 8 ounces chard
• 2 tablespoons organic high-heat cooking oil, such as grapeseed
• 2 medium-size yellow onions, cut into 3/4-inch dice
• 2 pounds cauliflower, cored and cut into large bite-size florets
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 cups coconut milk beverage
• 1 1/2 cups organic reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
• 2 tablespoons curry powder
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1/2 cup unsweetened and unsulfured raisins
• Fine sea salt to taste
• 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded or flaked coconut
1. Cut the ribs from the chard and chop them crosswise into 1-inch lengths. Cut the leaves crosswise into 1-inch–thick strips. Set the chard ribs and leaves aside separately.
2. In a large saucepan or small stockpot over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute. Add the cauliflower and cook, stirring occasionally, until it’s beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the coconut milk, stock, curry powder, cinnamon, and cayenne and bring to a boil. Add the chard ribs and raisins and return to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Working in batches, add the chard leaves, stirring until wilted before adding the next batch. Cover and cook until the cauliflower and chard are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add salt to taste.
3. Serve hot, sprinkled with the coconut.
Additional Recipes for a Clean Eating Diet:
• Grilled Salmon with Strawberry Avocado Salsa recipe
• Roasted Egglant and Peppers with Parmesan Polenta recipe
Recipe reprinted with permission from THE CLEAN PLATES COOKBOOK © 2012 by Jared Koch with Jill Silverman Hough, Running Press, a member of the Perseus Books Group.