These High Fiber Muffins are a tasty way to get your fiber.
Photo By Fotolia/Grafvision
While most mothers don’t usually cook meals for 10 or more people, that is the regular setting at Tiffany Moen’s dinner table. Inspired by her eight children—five who were adopted from various countries—and a stressful time when her husband was unemployed, The Spices of My Life (BQB Publishing, 2012) is the story of Moen’s diverse family and her experience incorporating her children’s varied ethnic heritage to “stretch the dollars, feed the stomachs and rejuvenate family meals.” These Delicious and Moist High Fiber Muffins from Moen's kitchen are an easy way to get your daily intake of fiber. This excerpt is taken from the section “Breads.”
You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: The Spices of My Life.
Because our American diet is lacking in enough fiber, adding these muffins to your diet will make a huge difference. You will love how tasty and moist they are.
Delicious and Moist High Fiber Muffins Recipe
• 1/2 cup boiling water
• 1 cup wheat bran
• 1/2 cup oat bran
• 2 small bananas, very ripe
• 1 egg
• 1/2 cup honey
• 1/2 cup buttermilk
• 1/2 cup dates
• 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1. In a 2-cup measuring cup, heat the water for 90 seconds in the microwave. Add the two brans; stir these, and set them aside.
2. In a new bowl, mix the bananas until they are liquefied, then add the egg, mixing well. Stir in the honey, buttermilk, and dates, then add the water/bran mixture. Stir these, and let it sit.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients, and add it to the bran/banana mixture, stirring until just moistened.
4. Fill oiled muffin tins three-quarters full, putting 1 inch of water in any empty muffin tins. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. They are done when you press the center down a bit and it pops back up. High Fiber Muffins recipe makes 12 muffins.
More Bread Recipes from The Spices of My Life
• Pineapple Zucchini Bread recipe
• Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pull-Apart Bread recipe
• Four-Grain Seed Bread recipe
This excerpt has been reprinted with permission from The Spices of My Life: A Culinary Collection of Recipes, Memories and More, published by BQB Publishing, 2012. Buy this book from our store: The Spices of My Life. To learn more about Tiffany Moen and her book, visit tiffanymoen.com or BQB Publishing.