Make your own light moisturizer using simple ingredients.
Photo By iStockphoto
Use this light hydrating moisturizer any time your skin needs refreshment or is feeling tight and dry. The glycerin acts as a skin-softening humectant, drawing moisture from the air to the skin. No refrigeration is required, but for maximum freshness and potency, use this homemade moisturizer within six months. For more on keeping your skin hydrated naturally, read the original article, Natural Moisturizers for Winter Skin Care.
Homemade Moisturizer Recipe
• 1/2 cup distilled water
• 2 teaspoons vegetable glycerin
• 5 drops lemon, geranium, grapefruit
• or rosemary essential oil
1. Add ingredients to a storage container and shake vigorously to blend.
2. To use: Store in a glass bottle or spritzer. Apply to face and throat daily with a cotton pad or by spraying the skin lightly and allowing it to dry. Shake before each use.
Oily Skin Tip
Don’t think that just because your skin is oily, you don’t need a moisturizer. Moisturizers help calm the skin and actually can reduce oil production. If you have oily skin, look for moisturizers made with almond, apricot kernel or grapeseed oil. Regardless of skin type, when moisturizing, pay special attention to the areas around the eyes and mouth, as they are the first to show signs of aging. Pat gently, and use extra moisturizer on those areas. — Gina DeBacker
Homemade Moisturizer recipe excerpted from Organic Body Care Recipes by Stephanie Tourles.