"The Clean Plates Cookbook" by Jared Koch offers sensible, sustainable, and healthful home cooking for anyone interested in integrating good foods into their lives. Recipes cover beverages, breakfasts, snacks, inventive entrées and desserts.
Photo Courtesy Running Press
The Clean Plates Cookbook by Jared Koch (Running Press, 2013) spells out exactly what “clean eating” means and why it matters. The book introduces the idea of eating as a bio-individual—that there is more than one right way to eat and that each person should find the “diet” that’s right for their personal needs—and includes recipes contributed from “healthy” chefs, covering everything from breakfast and beverages to entrees and sides. This recipe for Grilled Salmon with Strawberry Avocado Salsa comes from chapter 9: The Recipes.
Grilled Salmon with Strawberry Avocado Salsa Recipe
Salmon, strawberries, and avocado—you could hardly think up a healthier trio of ingredients. They come together here to create a meal that’s so refreshingly different and flavorful, “health food” is about the last thing you’ll think of when you enjoy it.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
• 2 limes
• 1/2 medium-size avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
• 6 ounces strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
• 1/4 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
• Fine sea salt to taste
• 4 (5-to 6-ounce) sustainably sourced salmon fillets, about 3/4-inch thick, skin removed if you like
• Organic extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
• Freshly ground black pepper
1. Zest one of the limes. Juice the zested lime to yield 4 teaspoons of juice. In a medium bowl, combine the lime zest, lime juice, avocado, strawberries, onion, cilantro, and salt to taste. Cut the remaining lime into wedges. Set the salsa and lime wedges aside separately.
2. Prepare a grill to medium-high heat. Brush both sides of the salmon with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill the salmon until just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
3. Serve the salmon hot, with the salsa on top and the lime wedges on the side.
Additional Recipes for a Clean Eating Diet:
• Cauliflower Curry recipe
• Roasted Eggplant and Peppers with Parmesan Polenta recipe
Recipe reprinted with permission from THE CLEAN PLATES COOKBOOK © 2012 by Jared Koch with Jill Silverman Hough, Running Press, a member of the Perseus Books Group.