This healthy recipe comes from the kitchen of dietitian Joan Salge Blake. Learn about other ways to improve your immune system in Stay Well This Winter with Natural Immune Boosters.
Ziti with Chicken and Broccoli in a Creamy Sauce Recipe
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 8 ounces chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
• 3/4 cup chicken broth, divided
• 8 ounces ziti
• 2 pounds broccoli florets, washed
• 1 tablespoon flour
• 1/2 cup low-fat evaporated milk
• 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a nonstick frying pan, sauté garlic in oil for 2 minutes. Add chicken and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until chicken is brown.
2. Add 1/4 cup broth to pan. Cover and simmer chicken on low heat for 2 to 3 minutes until chicken is tender and thoroughly cooked. Set aside.
3. In large pot, cook ziti for 6 minutes in 4 cups boiling water. Add broccoli and continue cooking for 4 minutes. Drain in colander.
4. Spoon pasta and broccoli back into large pot. With a slotted spoon, remove chicken pieces from frying pan and add to pasta.
5. Over low heat, add flour to frying pan. Using a whisk, blend flour into liquid. Slowly add milk and remaining broth, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Heat until bubbly and thickened. Remove pan from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese to blend.
6. Pour sauce over pasta mixture and toss until thoroughly coated. Ziti with Chicken and Broccoli makes about 10 cups.