2-quart casserole dish, lightly oiled
• 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 3 tablespoons flour
• 1 tablespoon powdered mustard
• 3 cups low fat milk
• 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or savory
• 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
• 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
• 1 teaspoon sea salt, freshly grated
• Fresh black pepper
• 1/2 cup whole wheat or panko bread crumbs
• 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta for 7 minutes, or to al dente.
3. Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and mustard and keep it moving for 3 minutes. Make sure it's free of lumps. Stir in the milk, onion, parsley and thyme. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Stir in 3/4 of the cheese and season with salt and pepper. Fold the macaroni into the mix and pour into a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese, bread crumbs, parsley and walnuts. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Pat Crocker cooks bistro-style food with her favorite herbs every week. Her latest book,
The Vegan Cook’s Bible (Robert Rose, 2009), is now available.
Click here to view the original article,
Budget Friendly Meals.