Roasted shallots and blue cheese meld to create a rich and creamy vinaigrette perfect for mild-flavored greens.
Photo by Fotolia
You’ll want to spring for your favorite blue cheese—it’ll be the star. If you don’t have a favorite already, try bold Rogue Smokey Blue or creamy Jasper Hill Bayley Hazen Blue. It’s best to serve a dressing this bold with mild-flavored greens. For more salad dressing recipes, read the article Homemade Salad Dressing Recipes.
• 2 medium shallots, peeled
• 2 cloves garlic, peeled
• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 4 ounces creamy blue cheese
• 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon leaves
• 1 teaspoon fresh parsley
• 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
• 1 teaspoon mustard powder
• Sea salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
1. Set shallots and garlic cloves inside a square of foil and pour a tablespoon of oil over them. Fold foil tops together, forming a packet. Roast in a 350-degree oven for 20 minutes or until shallots are soft to the touch. Set foil packet aside to cool.
2. Purée all ingredients except remaining oil, then slowly add oil while blending. Season with salt and pepper. Makes about 1 cup.