Garnish this Ginger Mint Soda with mint sprigs and lemon slices.
Photo By dusk/Fotolia
Keep this flavorful concentrate and some club soda on hand in the refrigerator for making fresh-tasting sparkling beverages.
• 3 quarts water (12 cups)
• 1 pound fresh ginger, unpeeled and chopped in 3/4-inch pieces
• 1/4 cup chopped ginger mint leaves
• 3 cups sugar
• One 2-pound jar honey
• 1 cup fresh lemon juice
• Fresh ginger mint leaves for garnish
• Club soda
1. Bring the water to a boil in a large nonreactive pot. Add the ginger. When the water returns to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
2. Add the chopped mint leaves, sugar, and honey. Turn down the heat as low as possible, stir to dissolve the sugar, and heat gently for 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture stand, covered, for several hours or overnight.
3. Strain and stir in the lemon juice. Cover the concentrate and store it in the refrigerator.
4. To serve, combine 1/2 cup concentrate and 1 cup soda in a large glass. Add ice and garnish with fresh mint leaves if desired. MAKES 32 12-OUNCE GLASSES (1 GALLON CONCENTRATE)
Terri Pischoff Wuerthner is a food and travel writer based in Sonoma County, California, who specializes in the culinary life and products of the wine country.
Click here for more great recipes with mint from the original article, Recipes Worth a Mint.