Stuffy head? Plugged nose? Turn to Garlic Soup for relief. Science shows
that garlic can fight the strongest infections, even pneumonia. It has
been used successfully to treat antibiotic-resistant bacterial
illnesses, and its expectorant properties help move infection out of the
lungs and bronchial tubes.
•1 tablespoon olive oil
•12 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
•2 large, sweet yellow onions, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla, peeled and thinly sliced
•1 teaspoon fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
•2 cups chicken broth or vegetable bouillon
•1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste
•1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped Salt
1. Put the olive oil in an 8-cup saucepan.
2. On low heat, sauté the garlic and onions, covered, for about 25 minutes until cooked through—they’ll appear to be nearly nearly translucent.
3. Transfer the garlic and onions to a food processor or blender and puree with the thyme and 1/2 cup of the broth or bouillon.
4. Pour the puree back into the pan, add the remaining broth, and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Stir in the cayenne, basil, and salt to taste, and heat for 2 minutes.
6. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Click here for the main article, Stay Healthy This Cold and Flu Season.