Makes about 3 cups
Huckleberries are my first choice for this fruity sauce, but you could substitute any tart berry, including the traditional cran.
• 3 cups huckleberries, fresh or frozen
• 1/4 cup port wine
• Pinch of salt
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. In a heavy-bottomed noncorrodible saucepan, combine all the ingredients and bring them to a boil.
2. Reduce the heat and simmer, partly covered, 30 to 40 minutes, or until thick.
3. Serve warm over Butternut Squash and Chive Cakes.
David Daggett is executive chef at Fox Acres, a secluded golf and country club at Red Feather Lakes, high in the Colorado Rockies. He received his training at the California Culinary Academy in San Francisco.
Click here for the original article, Herbal Recipes for a Holiday Feast.