The scent of rosemary is uplifting, and oregano and peppermint boost your circulation. If you prefer to use essential oils, use 1 drop in place of each teaspoon of fresh herbs and skip the process of heating the oil, which could alter the fragile essential oils.
• 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
• 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
• 1 teaspoon fresh peppermint
• 1/2 cup light oil (almond, sunflower or light olive)
1. Gently crush fresh herbs and pour oil over them in a heat-resistant container.
2. Use the stovetop or microwave to gently heat but do not boil, then let cool completely.
3. Filter out all solids using a coffee filter.
4. To use: Massage into your skin after bathing.
Janice Cox is the co-author, with her daughter Lauren Cox, of EcoBeauty (Ten Speed Press, 2009). To buy, visit www.herbcompanion.com/shopping.
Click here for the main article, Body & Soul: Carrier Oils 101.