Turmeric is one of nature’s most effective anti-inflammatories, making it adept at fighting age-related diseases from arthritis to Alzheimer’s disease.
Photo By Shutterstock
In this island dish, long-grain rice, coconut milk and kidney beans offer fiber and healthy fats to accompany turmeric’s anti-aging benefits.
Caribbean Rice Recipe
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/2 medium onion, diced
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1 cup long-grain rice
• 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
• 1 cup coconut milk
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1/2 cup kidney beans, drained
• 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and diced (optional)
1. Heat oil in a saucepan over high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent.
2. Add rice, broth and coconut milk. Stir in thyme, turmeric, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
3. Add beans and mango. Cook 5 minutes, or until heated through. Caribbean Rice serves 4.
Get the Benefits
Because curcumin has low bioavailability, many experts recommend consuming it in foods that contain fat or that pair turmeric and pepper, both of which may enhance the body’s ability to absorb its beneficial components.
From Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking: 275 Great-Tasting, From-Scratch Recipes from Around the World, Perfect for Every Meal and for Anyone on a Gluten-Free Diet—and Even Those Who Aren’t by Kelli and Peter Bronski. Reprinted with permission of the publisher, The Experiment.
For more on the anti-aging health benefits of turmeric, read the original article, Naturally Young: Anti-Aging Foods and Herbs.