Serve these lightly fried fritters as a vegetable accompaniment or main dish. Use regular or sweet potatoes.
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup shredded carrot or parsnip
- 1 cup shredded potato
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh lemon balm
- 3 tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine corn, carrot, potato, onions, lemon balm and mozzarella cheese. Stir to mix well. Add flour and egg and mix to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mixture should be just moist enough to hold together. If not, add more flour until mixture is the desired consistency for forming into patties.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Divide mixture into 4 patties and place in hot oil. Cook fritters for 5 to 7 minutes on each side. Remove fritters to a towel-lined platter to drain. Serve with Lemon Pesto.
Photographer, writer, lecturer and culinary herbalist Pat Crocker loves lemon: As a child, Pat could eat fresh lemons as one might eat an orange. At her home in Neustadt, Ontario, Canada, she puts her ‘pucker power’ to work developing new ways to use the clean citrus flavor of lemon balm in recipes. Her newest book, The Vegetarian Cook’s Bible, will be available later this year. For more information about her, visit
Click here for the original article, Long Live Lemon Balm: Herb of the Year 2007.