Spice up this simple Yummy Yam Chips recipe by substituting sweeter spice such as rosemary for the basil and oregano.
Photo by robynmac/Fotolia
Whether they’re orange or white, even the kids will like chips: They make the perfect healthy chips for kids! For variation, you could substitute sweeter spices such as ground anise and fennel for the Italian herbs.
• 2 small yams, thinly sliced into 1/8 inch slices
• 1/2 teaspoon basil
• 1/2 teaspoon oregano
• 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a self-sealing plastic bag, place the yam slices and herbs, shaking to coat.
3. Place the herb-coated yam slices on a nonstick baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
4. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the yam slices are slightly golden, making sure to turn the slices at least once during the cooking process.
Ann Louise Gittleman, Ph.D., C.N.S., is one of the foremost nutritionists in the United States. She is the author of The Fat Flush Plan (McGraw Hill, 2001), Eat Fat, Lose Weight (Keats, 1999), and Why Am I Always So Tired? (Harper San Francisco, 1999).
Click here for the main article, Spices and Herbs for Weight Loss.