Fiber-rich chia seeds help keep this tangy salsa light and bright.
Photo by Julie Morris
Whip up this healthy salsa recipe for a fiber-rich variation. The longer this healthy salsa recipe sits, the better—it is even more flavorful the next day. Chia seeds help keep this tangy salsa light and bright. MAKES ABOUT 2 CUPS
• 2 tablespoons chia seeds
• 1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced
• 3/4 pound fresh tomatillos, husks removed and diced
• 1/2 lime, juiced
• 2 heaping tablespoons fresh cilantro
• 1/4 cup white onion, diced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 jalapeño pepper, de-seeded and minced
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1. Use a food processor to pulse ingredients together into a chunky salsa, or simply chop and mix by hand. Refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to develop and chia seeds to absorb some of the excess liquid.
2. Serve with chips or crackers, or tuck inside a wrap or burrito as a flavorful spread.
Variation: Mix in a peeled and pitted chopped avocado to the finished salsa.
Recipe courtesy Superfood Cuisine: Cooking with Nature’s Most Amazing Foods (Navitas Naturals, 2011) by Julie Morris.
Click here for the main article, Herb to Know: What is Chia Seed?