Castile soap is a healthy, natural base that is inexpensive and biodegradable. Use this base as the foundation for any herbal shampoo recipe or select your botanicals from “An herbal guide to beautiful hair” on page 59.
• 4 ounces castile soap
• 1 1/2 cups tapwater
• 1 cup rain or spring water
• 1 teaspoon almond or jojoba oil
• 1 pint olive oil
• 1/2 cup of herbs
1. Dissolve the soap in the tapwater (if you want to make more of the base, the proportion is 1 part soap to 3 parts water).
2. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat until it thickens.
3. Add the rain or spring water and the almond or jojoba oil.
4. Place the olive oil in a glass bottle large enough to hold all of the ingredients.
5. Pour the castile soap mixture into the bottle.
6. Add the herbs, and your shampoo is ready to use.
Melinda Minton is a licensed cosmetologist, herbalist, and esthetician. She is the owner of Vie Salon and Day Spas in Fort Collins, Colorado. Her articles have appeared in The Herb Companion, Herbs for Health’s sister publication.
Click here for the original article, An Herbal Guide to Healthy Hair.