This Pumpkin Scones with Cranberries recipe will brighten up brunch or pair perfectly with coffee for a simple breakfast.
Photo By Joe Coca
Try this Pumpkin Scones with Cranberries recipe for your next holiday celebration.
Pumpkin Scones with Cranberries Recipe
These scones, both sweet and savory, need no further adornment.
• 2 cups unbleached flour
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
• 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
• 1/2 cup lowfat or whole milk
• 1/2 cup unsweetened pumpkin purée
• 3/4 cup fresh or dried cranberries tossed with 1 tablespoon flour
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and 3 tablespoons of the sugar; stir to blend. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it is in pea-sized pieces.
3. Combine the milk with the pumpkin puree and blend well. Stir the milk and pumpkin mixture, along with the cranberries, into the dry ingredients until the dough starts to come together. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, gather it together, and knead lightly. Do not overwork the dough.
4. Flatten or roll the dough into a round about an inch thick. Cut into 8 to 12 pie-shaped wedges and lightly sprinkle them with the remaining teaspoon of sugar. Place the scones on a baking sheet and bake in the center of a preheated oven until golden on top, about 18 minutes. Cool on a baking rack for a few minutes and serve warm.
5. If prepared ahead of time, these scones can be wrapped in foil and gently reheated at 300 degrees for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until warmed through. Makes 8 to 12 scones.
For more brunch recipes see the article: Winter Holiday Brunch Recipes.