For a light late-summer recipe, try this Baked Tilapia with Thyme and Green Olives. It is pictured, just before baking.
Photo by Howard Lee Puckett
• Olive oil cooking spray
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 lemons, halved and thinly sliced
• 1 cup green olives, halved
• 8 to 10 thyme sprigs
• 4 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets
• Freshly ground pepper
• Extra virgin olive oil
• Fresh thyme sprigs, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 15- by 10- by 1-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Place onion, lemon slices, olives and thyme in bottom of pan; top with tilapia fillets. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil.
3. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until fish flakes with a fork. Serve immediately. Garnish each serving with a sprig of thyme.
Caleb Melchior grows unusual herbs and perennials at Sugar Creek Gardens in Kirkwood, Missouri. He is also studying for a Master of Landscape Architecture degree at Kansas State University.
Click here for the main article, Befriending Tenacious Thyme.