Capture the flavor of a Scandinavian Christmas with the rich taste of Glogg and Kaffekage.
Makes 20 four-ounce servings
Hot, spiced wine punch is a Christmas tradition in Scandinavian countries.
• 30 to 40 whole cloves
• 1 orange
• 20 whole green or white cardamom pods
• 2 bottles (1.5 liters) red wine
• 24 sugar cubes, or 1 pound loaf sugar
• 1 bottle (750 ml) aquavit or vodka
• 20 blanched almonds
• 1 cup raisins
1. Stick the cloves in the orange and place it in a 4-quart or larger saucepan. Crack open the cardamom pods, discard the husks, and place the seeds in the pan. Pour in the wine and heat it to a simmer. Don’t let it boil.
2. Place the sugar cubes in the center of a large punch bowl and pour the aquavit over them. Dip out a little of the aquavit into a ladle and carefully ignite it. Pour the flaming aquavit over the sugar/aquavit mixture in the bowl. Let it burn briefly, then pour the hot spiced wine, including the orange, into the bowl. Serve immediately with an almond and a few raisins in each cup.
Cornelia Carlson exercises her passion for growing tropical spices in her San Diego–area home. She has a Ph.D. in biochemistry and is the author of The Practically Meatless Gourmet (Prima, 1996).
Click here for the original article, Recipes with Cardamom.