Use any combination of fast-cooking greens such as spinach, chard or beet greens to make a Simple Spring Greens and Radish Sauté.
Photo by Noam Armonn
Use any combination of fast-cooking greens such as spinach, chard or beet greens. SIMPLE SPRING GREENS AND RADISH SAUTÉ SERVES 4
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 bunch radishes, sliced
• 4 green onions, sliced
• 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1/2 teaspoon sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
• 6 generous cups packed, chopped greens (such as beet greens and chard)
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Heat butter and oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sauté radishes for 3 minutes.
2. Add green onions and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, sugar, celery seed and chopped greens; sauté for 2 to 3 minutes more or until greens are wilted.
3. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Kris Wetherbee is a contributing editor who lives and tends her herbs in western Oregon.
Click here for the main article, Healthy and Delicious Spring Greens.